WHAT IS PASSIVE LEARNING?
1. Listening and reading skils.
2. Defining, listing, describing, and explaining.
3. Seeing and hearing.
WHAT IS ACTIVE LEARNING?
1. Teaching techniques other than straight lecture.
2. Smaller task-oriented assignments or...
3. Project-based with task-oriented assignments within it.
4. Students discover, process, and/or apply information.
5. There are different forms and strategies, including...
6. Face-to-Face and Online/Distance Learning approaches.
7. Emphasis is placed on analysis, synthesis, and evaluation.
Learning Activities: Reading and Listening
Students retain 10% of what they read
o Reading a power point
Students retain 20% of what they hear
o Listening to a lecture
Learning outcomes: Define, List, Describe, Explain
Learning Activities: Seeing and Seeing & Hearing
Students retain 30% of what they see
o Viewing images
Students retain 50% of what they see and hear
o Watching a demonstration
Learning outcomes: Demonstrate, Apply, Practice
Learning Activities: Speaking and Writing
Students retain 70% of what they say and write
o Hands on workshops
o Interactive lessons
Learning outcomes: Analyze, Define, Create, Evaluate
Learning Activities: Doing
Students retain 90% of what they do.
o Simulate, model, or experience a lesson
o Design and/or perform a presentation
Glendale Community College | 1500 North Verdugo Road, Glendale, California 91208 | Tel: 818.240.1000 |
GCC Home © 2021 - Glendale Community College. All Rights Reserved. | POLICE