What explains uneven development in the world? Four theories have been presented: the effects of colonialism or other historical experiences, institutional differences, culture, and uneven distribution of resources between countries.
Your assignment is to select one theory that has the most explanatory power regarding uneven development between countries. Detail why it is the most important factor as well as why the other theories do not adequately explain differences in development. Using In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz, other readings from class and outside academic resources, make an argument using one of the theories and critique the other three theories. Be sure to also address any weaknesses in the theory you are selecting and why these weaknesses do not undermine your choice.
There is no right or wrong answer but you must defend your choice while carefully critiquing the other theories of development. Use plenty of examples from the book or outside sources to support your argument!
Papers should be 1000-1250 words in length, 12 pt font, one-inch margins, double-spaced.
Content- 40 points
- select one theory of development
- summarize the main points of that theory
- critique the other three theories by analyzing their weakness in explaining development
- address any weaknesses of the theory chosen and how these are remedied
- use examples from the book to support your arguments
- use examples from outside readings and lectures to support your arguments
College Level Work- 5 points
- proper font size, margin width, word count
- citation of quotes and statistics using endnotes (with proper bibliography for outside sources)
Annotated Bibliography due on Canvas 3/25 (see Canvas for instructions)- 8 points
Paper Outline due in class 3/27 (see Canvas for instructions)- 7 points
Paper must be submitted through Vericite on Canvas by 4/1. Late papers will receive no more than half credit. Plagiarism will result in a zero.