Skip to Main Content
by Frankie Strong
Governance Office Coordinator
Hello! Governance Enthusiasts! (say that five times fast)
We are well into another great academic year during which we work together to accomplish many things. On the governance side of the house we meet, we discuss, we take action. As governance committees convene, let us keep in mind some good practices to help our decision-making remain on track.
Approval Process for Document, Policy, or Procedures
“When written documents, policies, or procedures are approved or edited by governance committee motion, those documents should be agendized, along with the committee’s minutes, by the appropriate standing committee, for its approval of the document, policy, or procedure.”
Things to look out for:
All members, voting and nonvoting:
- Familiarize themselves with the mission of the committee as indicated on the Blue List and GCC's mission statement.
- Regularly attend meetings; a member may recruit a proxy in the event of absence.
- Know who appointed them and know when their term ends.
- Consult with their appointing agency (Guild, Senate, and CSEA executives, ASGCC cabinet, Administration) for general guidance and for specific concerns about policy proposals.
- In the event of a disagreement about governance procedures, consult Administrative Regulation 2511, the Governance Document, or contact the Governance Review Committee.
- When first participating on governance committees, attend the annual Fall governance workshop.
Chairpersons of the committee:
- Verify that membership matches the Blue List.
- Forward the agenda to the committee three working days before the meeting; include the student government through email (firstname.lastname@example.org); a hard copy may be placed in the ASGCC mailbox.
- Verify that the committee has a quorum (50% of the voting membership plus 1) before action is taken; discussion may take place in the absence of a quorum but no actions or motions can be taken without a quorum.
- Verify that only voting members vote – “Resource” members do not have a vote.
- Forward a “Motions Report” along with appropriate minutes to the Governance office. A schedule for reporting motions and minutes is forwarded to chairs and minutes recorders each month.
- Follow up on actions and decisions taken at the meeting.
Keep Information Flowing and Current
- Subcommittees should forward their minutes and motions to the appropriate standing committee no more than 2 weeks after meeting.
- Monthly committee actions are available online within the “Governance Update.”
- Un-adopted or adopted minutes should be available online within four weeks of the previous meeting (no more than one month after a committee meets).
Constituent Representatives (namely Faculty and Classified)
Be sure to communicate with your leadership (Academic Senate, CSEA or the Guild) by providing a brief summary after each governance committee meeting. There are two options for submitting a report.
- Visit the Governance webpage in SharePoint https://sp.glendale.edu/governance/Pages/default.aspx (To gain access use your email login)
Select from the left navigation either “Committee Report for Faculty” or “Committee Report for Classified”
- Email the constituent leaders a brief summary and attach the meeting agenda by using the appropriate list serve. For the Academic Senate email@example.com; for CSEA firstname.lastname@example.org; for the Guild email@example.com
Governance is a process involving students, classified staff, confidential employees/managers, faculty, and administrators in deliberations regarding day-to-day and long-range planning and policies for the college. Successful governance creates an environment of awareness on campus. With your participation, we can continue to foster an environment of mutuality and trust while remaining committed to student success.
(References: Administrative Regulation 2511: Governance Document ‘Communication & Operations’ section, Governance Best Practices)
For more information, visit the Governance webpage in SharePoint or contact the Governance office at extension 5393 or email Frankie Strong at firstname.lastname@example.org
Glendale Community College | 1500 North Verdugo Road, Glendale, California 91208 | Tel: 818.240.1000
GCC Home © 2023 - Glendale Community College. All Rights Reserved.