Your answer for each set of Sparking Questions must be minimum 300 words. Submit to turnitin.com no later than one hour before class meets. Completing these assignments will prepare you for class discussions and help you consider the readings more thoughtfully.
Sparking Questions #1 (Due 3/2):
1. Why do you think Katniss is the way she is at the beginning of the novel? What factors, people, or experiences have influenced her character? Give specific examples from the text and include page numbers.
2. How do you think Katniss feels about adults? Why do you think she feels this way? What caused those feelings? Give specific examples from the text and include page numbers.
3. What impact does going to the Capitol have on Katniss? Does she change because of it?
Sparking Questions #2 (Due 3/9)
1. In what ways are the characters in "The Lottery" similar to us, the readers?
2. What clues (also known as foreshadowing) did you see throughout the story that hinted at the surprise ending? Please explain how the clues acted as hints, and consider if they were noticeable right away, or only after you'd finished reading the story.
3. Are the people in "The Lottery" good or bad (or both)? Why?
Sparking Questions #3 (Due 3/14)
1. Make notes of times when Katniss demonstrates life-preserving or self-defensive behaviors. These can be from any part of the book, chapters 1-18. What, beside survival, motivates her to behave in this way?
2. Make notes of times when Katniss demonstrates life-endangering or self-sacrificing behaviors. These can be from any part of the book, chapters 1-18. What motivates her to behave in this way?
3. What qualities does Katniss value in others? Why?
Sparking Questions #4 (Due 3/16)
1. Try to explain or justify why the citizens of Omelas continue to live the way they do. Why don't they leave? Why don't they try to change things?
2. What do you think life is like for the people who decide to "walk away from Omelas"?
3. What is the best thing about Omelas? What would tempt you the most to live there?
Sparking Questions #5 (Due 3/21)
1. How do you think the people in “The Lottery” or “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas” would respond to The Hunger Games (the event, not the book)?
2. Do you think Peeta's anger at Katniss at the very end of the book is fair or justified? Explain.
3. What do you think life will be like for Katniss and Peeta after the Games? Explain.
Sparking Questions #6 (Due 4/11)
1. How has Katniss changed from the beginning of The Hunger Games to the beginning of Catching Fire?
2. How has Katniss’ relationship with Gale changed? What has caused these changes?
3. How has Katniss’ relationship with Peeta changed? What has caused these changes?
Sparking Questions #7 (Due 4/27)
1. What is different about Katniss and Peeta’s experiences in the Capitol the second time they go there? What causes these differences?
2. What is the emotional impact on Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch when they watch the previous Hunger Games?
3. What motivates Cinna to make the choices and take the risks he does? Do you think he makes good choices?
Sparking Questions #8 (Due 5/2)
1. What evidence does Katniss have that the other tributes are trying to protect Peeta and her? Why do you think they would do that?
2. How are these Hunger Games different for Katniss than the previous ones?
3. What qualities are important, in your opinion, in a leader? Why? Of the characters you've encountered in these books so far, who do you think would make the best leader?
Sparking Questions #9 (Due 5/9)
1. How has Katniss changed from the end of Catching Fire to the beginning of Mockingjay? What is most important about these changes?
2. How has our understanding of Gale's character changed between his last appearance in Catching Fire and the beginning of Mockingjay?
3. What qualities does District 13 value in its citizens? Do you think these are good values? Explain.
Sparking Questions #10 (Due 5/11)
1. How have the changes to Peeta’s personality impacted Katniss?
2. What is so innovative about Gale’s designs for weapons and traps? How do you feel about them?
3. How has Prim changed from The Hunger Games to Mockingjay?
Sparking Questions #11 (Due 5/16)
1. Pick what you think is the one most significant change to Katniss' personality or life over the course of these books and explain why you chose it.
2. How do you feel about the ending of the novel in terms of Katniss' relationships with Peeta and Gale? Explain why.
3. How do you feel about the ending of the novel in terms of the rebellion/punishment for Capitol leaders/new government? Explain why.